Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Future of the Internet

Will it be more like reality TV? Or will it be like a patch? [deployed over several days by The Global Internet Engineering Security and Operations communities: Red are vulnerable domains, green are protected]





Your ability to forecast is important for shaping the future. In fact, the ultimate criterion for a successful forecast is whether is helps people make better decisions. I used to forecast products we imported. Trust me, you learn to know your numbers - no product, no sales, no profit and no growth. Not good.

When we think about the future, what we are doing to some degree or another is infer what is to come from what is now. Going back to my sales forecast, I would make sure many variables were taken into account - especially that no one on my sales team was sandbagging (a technical term for lowering the forecast).

No comments: